A truly “21st century” rapid transit technology that offers fast, express, international standard service for half the cost of legacy heavy rail. Our Plan Melbourne vision incorporates:
- 15 minute CBD-to-Airport (and reverse) service carrying up to 40,000 people per hour;
- A Victorian factory-built modular system that is fast to erect and commission and low in cost to both build and operate;
- 750 people would be employed during construction with about 80% of the manufacturing being locally-sourced content;
- Near-silent, rubber wheeled, low energy-green powered, operating on one metre wide concrete guide ways at grade or elevated, and environmentally unobtrusive;
- State-of-the-art solar panels to co-power the system using the latest world-leading battery technology;
- Operating on or above our extensive network of arterial roads, freeways and rail lines;
- Extremely inexpensive compared to heavy rail.
What is Airshuttle?
The Airshuttle system is monorail/light rail technology which is fully pre-fabricated, enabling the system to be installed faster and with minimum interference with traffic and pedestrians.
- The system can be cantilevered above parking lanes in the centre of an arterial road/freeway or rail easement.
- Trains can comprise from 2 to 8 carriages the later with a capacity for 1000 passengers and 6 car trains can carry 40,000 passengers per hour.
- Overall, the system offers a minimal environmental impact in residential areas, and also uses privacy glass which automatically switches to opaque when in residential zones.
- The system is fully automated, including maintenance, and is controlled from a central control centre using the very latest German or Japanese technology.
- The system can be seamlessly integrated with and switched onto a larger capacity system or a smaller system such as an Intra Airport system currently under consideration for Melbourne Airport
- A concrete guide-way slab of only 1.1m width in each direction , be it at grade or elevated, compared with competitors 2.5-3.0m widths.
- The system can carry the capacity of 20 freeway lanes at 10% of the cost.
- The guide-way for each direction of travel is comparable in size to a standard bike lane, minimising impact on available space.
- See the gallery section for images of the system at work.